- CPS: A National Priority: 2007 PCAST NITRD Report, 2008 US Congressional Hearing
- CPS Workshops and Meetings
Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS) represent a bold new generation of systems that integrate computing and communication capabilities with the dynamics of physical and engineered systems.
Just like the internet transformed how we interact with information systems, cyber-physical systems will transform how we interact with and manipulate the physical world.
A growing community of academic researchers, industry leaders and government executives has held a series of planning meetings, workshops and roundtables to articule a strong and compelling vision for the next generation of cyber-physical systems.
Our special thanks to
- Dr. Farnam Jahanian, Director of CISE at NSF
- Dr. Jeannette Wing, Former Director of CISE at NSF
- Dr. Keith Marzullo, Director of Computer and Network Systems, NSF
- Dr. Ty Znati, Former Director of Computer and Network Systems, NSF
- Dr. Helen Gill, Program Director at NSF
- Dr. Scott Midkiff, Program Director at NSF
- Ms. Frankie King, NITRD.
CPS: A National Priority
PCAST NITRD Report
Please see page 31 of the 2007 NITRD Review report by the President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST). The report is titled Leadership Under Challenge: Information Technology R&D in a Competitive World".
"[Networked Information Technology] Systems Connected With The Physical World", also refered to as cyber-physical systems, are cited as the top technical priority for networking and IT research and development.
US Congressional Hearing and CPS
On July 31, 2008, the Committee on Science and Technology of the US House of Representatives conducted a hearing as part of its oversight responsibilities of the Federal Networking and Information Technology Research and Development (NITRD) Program. The Committee Chairman, Congressman Bart Gordon, made an opening statement. A witness panel provided statements and answered questions from the committee. The panelists were:
- Dr. Chris Greer, Director, National Coordination Office, Networking and Information Technology Research and Development. [Dr. Greer's test imony]
- Dr. Daniel A. Reed, Director, Microsoft Research, Scalable and Multicore Computing (and co-author of PCAST Report). [Dr. Reed's testimony]
- Dr. Craig Stewart, Associate Dean, Research Technologies, Indiana University, representing the Coalition for Academic Scientific Computation. [Dr. Stewart's testimony]
- Mr. Don C. Winter, Vice President, Engineering & Information Technology, Phantom Works, Boeing Company. (Mr. Winter has been an active leader of the CPS community). [Mr. Winter's testimony]
CPS Workshops and Meetings
To see our role in these activities, please click here.
- National Workshop on "Research on Transportation Cyber-Physical Systems: Automotive, Aviation, and Rail", November 18- 20, 2008, Washington, DC (USA).
- Workshop on Security and Privacy in Cyber-Phys ical Systems, Sponsored by the Army Research Office, June 26-27, 2008, University of Ca lifornia at Irvine, Irvine, California.
- CPS Summit, St. Louis, MI, April 25, 2008.
- National Workshop on High-Confidence Automotive Cyber-Physical Systems, Troy, Michigan, April 3-4, 2008.
- Planning Meeting for National Workshop on Automotive Cyber-Physical Systems, Tucson, Arizona, December 3, 2007.
- Session on Cyber-Physical Systems, NSF Symposium on Cyber-Enabled Discovery and Innovation, Troy, NY, Sept 5-6, 2007.
- Joint Workshop On High-Confidence Medical Devices, Software and Systems (HCMDSS) and Medical Device Plug-and-Play (MD PnP) Interoperability, Boston, MA, Jun 25-27, 2007.
- Workshop on Composable and System Technologies for High-Confidence Cyber-Physical Systems (CST-HCCPS), Arlington, VA, July 9-10, 2007.
- NSF Industry Roundtable on Cyber-Physical Systems, Arlington, VA, May 17, 2007.
- High-Confidence Software Platforms for Cyber-Physical Systems (HCSP-CPS) Workshop, Alexandria, VA, November 30 December 1, 2006.
- National Meeting on "Beyond SCADA: Networked Embedded Control for Cyber-Physical Systems", Pittsburgh, PA, November 8-9, 2006.
- National Workshop on Aviation Software Systems: Design for Certifiably Dependable Systems, Oct 5-6, 2006, Alexandria, TX.
- NSF Workshop on Cyber-Physical Systems, Austin, Texas, Oct 15-16, 2006.
- NSF Planning Meeting on Cyber-Physical Systems, Arlington, VA, June 2006.
- High-Confidence Medical Device Software and Systems (HCMDSS) Workshop, Philadelphia, PA, Jun 2 - 3, 2005.